Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Village of Umuofia


This is a picture of the music going on in Umuofia. Placing this image on the Village Portal allows me to get a true understanding of the wrestling matches and meetings in Things Fall Apart. I always had my own picture in my head. However, this picture wraps it up and of course.... I WAS RIGHT!

I don't know if everyone has seen a greek probate before... but the way that the onlookers are gathered in a circle reminds me of a calmer version of a probate. In pertaining to the wrestling matches, I find that America's wrestling matches are setup the same way. The only contrast is that we sit in chairs and are pushed back further than the villagers in Umuofia.

It amazes me how the villagers can sit so peacefully without having a gate or some kind of baracade to keep them away from the wrestlers. In America, that is simply impossible. The Umuofia villagers have so much respect for the 'performers'. NOT IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

How interesting to compare this to a Greek sorority event!

You have chosen a fascinating image. I wonder what else you notice in it...