Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Xala

What I found extremely interesting is how quickly the Africans accepted the European ways.  I understand that they were forced to learn about nothing but Europe in school; however, why not fight to hold onto your traditions and lifestyle.  One person that I liked was Rama, even though she had accepted some European traits like the hatred of polygamy, her modern views intrigued me.

It was also great to see how the wives felt about polygamy for a change.  It never dawned on me that maybe they would hate the idea of being wife number  so and so.  Just by my pride alone, I would hate to be just a number to my husband.  I could understand the jealousy of the first wife.  She has been forced to give up time with her husband to a spoiled brat.  Even though I really didn't like the second wife, she was the most realistic to me.  Before the third wife came into play, she basically had El Hadji to herself.  Polygamy was fine, as long as she was the one getting most of the attention.  However, as soon as the roles switch and there is another wife in town, there is a problem.  

The moomes are nowhere near long enough for me to really get a chance to really fall in love.  Speaking of love, did they ever really fall in love?  Take the third wife for example, she was practically forced to mary El Hadji.  And the Xala?  I believe that El Hadji was just plain and simply getting old.  The thought of having a young girl excited him so much to that point that he became impotent by her sight.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

I agree with you that seeing the wives perspectives on polygamy is one of the most interesting parts of the novel!